Saturday, September 22, 2012

Q & A With the Charming Tonya Kappes


It is a backflip and cartwheeling kind of day!  Today is release day for my cutie pie friend Tonya Kappes!  *Jen throws confetti because she no longer cartwheels.  Old lady problems to blame…* Her novel, A Charming Cure, is the latest edition to the Magical Cures Mystery Series.   

  Here is the book description:
     Bubble. . .Bubble. . .  Psychic June Heal's homeopathic cure shop, A Charming Cure, is the most popular shop in the unusual little town of Whispering Falls, Kentucky. 
     Cures and Trouble. . .  June is about to learn she has more than psychic abilities when she attends Hidden Hall A Spiritualist University, leaving her shop in the hands of handsome sheriff Oscar Park.  Hidden Hall has an internal war between the Good-Siders and the Dark-Siders, putting June in the middle. 
     Magic Stirs. . .  Hidden Hall is riddled with every type of spiritualist. Magic is lurking around every corner, even black-magic.  Unfortunately, the Ultimate Spell gets into the wrong hands. But it is only discovered after a few spiritualists go missing or end up poisoned to death.
      And Trouble Doubles. . .  Madam Torres, June's crystal ball, reveals that A Charming Cure is in shambles along with the rest of Whispering Falls.  Will June figure out who has the Ultimate Spell and stop them before they destroy the entire spiritualist community?

     Tonya and I had a chance to chat recently, and I had so much to ask!  So grab your favorite witches brew, settle in to your favorite comfy caldron chair, and enjoy!  

You are one of my author buddies that shares occupational history with me.  Tell me about what you love most about your day job and why it’s a nice balance with your career as an author.

OH! It gets me out of the house and refreshes my mind on the writing front. Plus I get to associate with REAL, blood-flowing, heart beating people!

Really. . .I’m passionate about helping others, especially children with disabilities. If I can help a parent not feel alone or help them believe in their child, it’s the greatest reward!


I could not agree with you more, Tonya.  For as much as families were thankful that I was in their children’s lives when I was working with preschooler’s with special needs, they were a gift to me ten times over!

You recently medaled TWICE at the Next Generation Indie Book Awards.  Congratulations!  What did it feel like to open the package and hold those medals in your hot little hands?

You go girl!!!

The Olympics had nothing over on me!  Well. . .it is the closest feeling I will probably ever get to the Olympics unless being a very active mom is an Olympic sport. WOW! They really should consider that an Olympic sport!

Seriously, it was great! Being self-published is hard, being validated for it is all sorts of cups of AWESOME!

Girl, parenting is an all gold medal sport!  I totally agree with you!

Okay, so you and I are going to King’s Island Amusement Park for the day.  On which coasters are we planting ourselves in the front seat, and what is your must-have snack while there?  For me, it’s Chick-Fil-A French fries and an a frozen Coke.  Don’t steal my answer! 

HA! Oh, you drive a hard bargain…The Screamin’ Demon was my fav, but since they took it down, I still have to do the RACER!!! RED RACER!! Hands in the air!!!!!!!!!!!!! Must food is still LaRosa’s even though there is one around the corner. It tastes so much better at King’s Island all cold and melty!

We can totally ride The Racer after we ride Diamondback twenty times!  NO HANDS!!!

What books are on your nightstand?

The Day I Lost My Shaker of Salt! Hilarious by the way!! I read it out loud to my husband!! I crack up. You have a lot of nerve writing about your family. I admire that!

Aww…  Thank you, Tonya!  I made the nightstand!  That is so sweet!  Honestly, it’s a fine line when writing about your family and still being authentic about your life.  It isn’t easy, so thank you for the props.  I really appreciate it.

Tell me your dream dinner guests, and why you would choose each one to join you for a dinner party.  More importantly would you cook or hire a caterer?!

Christian Louboutin…I’d try to score some shoes! And…we’d have LaRosa’s pizza and Ding Dongs for dessert!

Ha!  I love the method to your madness, and your choice of meals.  Yum!

Who would you credit for helping you along the way in your writing journey?

My family first and foremost. They have been so supportive in giving me time to work, seeing me at all their games with a pen in my hand, and put up with talking to myself in public places. Jane Porter taught me how to connect with readers. She is amazing with giving back. I try to do it tenfold!

 Some of you might not know this, but Tonya recently had smash up derby in her kitchen (not really, that just sounded like fun though, didn’t it?).  How is your kitchen coming along?  Are renovations almost finished?

If I could’ve found a knife in the mess. . .well, you don’t want to know what I would’ve done. It was a LOOOOONG process. See, I don’t believe in debt (DAVE RAMSEY FAN RAISE YOUR HANDS!) and we had to do the renovations ($$$$$$$) as we paid for them. That is why it took so long. My guys are reaching six foot tall and our small kitchen was cutting it. Now we enjoy it so much better. The kitchen is where my family really gathers and I love hearing them talkJ

You are the queen of connecting with your readers, and it is one of the things I adore about you as a fellow author and reader.  Tell the story of how your Street Team was born.

Tonya holding her novel, Carpe Bead 'Em

Well…I’m still flabbergasted that someone besides my mother would pick up my books and spend five minutes in my made up world! Especially in today’s lifestyle of go-go-go. And I had no idea how to thank these readers! I was getting so much reader mail. (I can’t stand the word FAN!) So I came up with my STREET TEAM. One place for all of use to gather, hang out, and discuss whatever. PLUS it is where I can do giveaways, show them my appreciation and connect with them personally.

When I started out, writers wanted to connect with writers. I didn’t understand that! Writers are connecting with the wrong people! They need to connect with their readers. Don’t get me wrong, you definitely need writer friends and I don’t want anyone to misunderstand me. I have a TON of GREAT writer friends that I hang out with on a daily basis, but THEY aren’t buying my books.

I appreciate my readers so much! And the internet has made it so easy to connect. We do a lot of fun and new things like Skype, online parties, movie premiere parties (the next one is the upcoming movie, The Good Witch!), book clubs, Kindle chats and more.

I just want them to know how honored I am that they escape into my world.

You can find a list of Tonya’s books here.  Don’t forget to check out her Street Team, Facebook page and find her on Twitter.  Tonya’s website is another place to connect with her and other readers.

Thanks for spending time with Tonya and little old me!
XOXO
Jen

10 comments:

  1. You are so much fun!! Thank you for having me!!! I loved chatting with you! I should probably mention that I would have my grandmother for dinner too. Though she wore sensible shoes, she'd get a kick out of me being an author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know your granny would love to be a guest and would rock the sensible shoes too :) XOXO

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Dru! I'm so glad you stopped by, and come back anytime XOXO

      Delete
  3. That was SMASHING!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, Tonya & Jen.
    But I could never keep up with youse two. A roller coaster ride these days would put me in the hospital.
    I've learned a lot from watching Tonya operate ... and gosh, she can work a room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahhaa! Jeff, chuckie!! You are so funny! Thank you for stopping by:)

    ReplyDelete